Whetstone’s Environmental Policy:
Whetstone Station is committed to protecting the environment, the health and safety of our employees, and the community in which we conduct our business. It is our policy to seek improvements throughout our business operations to lessen our impact on the local and global environment by conserving energy, water, and other natural resources; reducing waste generation; recycling and purchasing environmentally preferable products; and reducing our use of toxic materials or production of toxic products and/or byproducts. We are committed to environmental excellence and pollution prevention through continual improvement and meeting or exceeding all environmental regulatory requirements.
To name just a few of our practices:
- We’re participants in the VT Green Brewery Cohort, a small community of brewers working to achieve sustainability throughout their brewing operations, from energy to waste water
- We prefer to purchase recycled paper goods such as paper towels, printer paper, and to-go containers
- We favor biodegradable plastics for single-serving cups at events
- We have a “no straw” policy, but keep biodegradable paper straws in stock for customers in need
- We compost food and recycle paper, aluminum, and plastics
- We work with a local farmer to process our spent grain from the brewing process
- We heat our production brewery with radiant floor heating fed by a solar hot water loop
- We capture and reuse our cooling process water for brewing, up to 310 gallons at a time, and store it for later brewing
Whetstone’s Environmental Purchasing Policy:
In accordance with our environmental policy goals, whenever possible, we strive to purchase products that have a lesser or reduced negative effect or increased positive effect on human health and the environment; when compared with competing products that serve the same purpose.